Thursday, May 13, 2004

As a reformed Republican, I remain on the mailing lists of myriad conservative fundraising efforts. Today I received a large, glossy photo of the Prez and his spooky wife, with my name sloppily personalized thereon, in a faux-humble, faux-clairvoyant dedication to my presumed "generous support". Witness a portion of the text of the accompanying letter:

"It is with deep personal pleasure that I present you with the enclosed photograph of President George W. Bush and Laura Bush.

I hope that you will display your inscribed photograph proudly as a symbol of the prominent place you held as a Charter member of the Bush-Cheney campaign.

And, as a close supporter and friend of the Republican party, it is important to know your photograph is suitable for framing and display.

Please take a moment now to complete and sign the enclosed Confirmation Receipt and return it in the postage-paid envelope to verify the condition of your photograph. If needed, I will have another prepared for you immediately.

And, when you do . . . will you also include a contribution for $1000, $500, $250, $100, $50, $35 or even $25 dollars?"
--------

I thought I'd have to write some sort of joke at the end here, but upon re-reading the above I realize I do not.

[Please note: I have never made any sort of donation to the Party, despite the claims of the above mass mailing.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home